Sunday, March 7, 2010

Aaron Ramsey Thanks Stoke City's Glen Whelan for Helping After Horrible Injury


Speaking for the first time since suffering a horrific leg break last week against Stoke City, Aaron Ramsey insisted that he would come back better than ever. He then reserved special praise for Glen Whelan, the first player to react and help him as he lay on the ground in agony.


Ramsey, 19, said, "I remember what happened clearly and after the tackle went in I saw that my leg was broken and hanging at an angle. I have seen images of the aftermath again but I don't want to dwell too much on the challenge as I can't change what has happened."

The Welsh youngster broke his leg in a challenge with Ryan Shawcross. The Stoke players heavy first touch opened the ball up to interception and as Ramsey stretched to prod the ball away, his studs became caught in the ground.

Shawcross, who was called into Fabio Capello's England squad this week, then made an extremely heavy tackle when there was little need to do so.

Missing the ball completely, he caught Ramsey just above the ankle and shattered his leg.

When asked if he had anything to say to Shawcross, Ramsey fell understandably quiet.

He said, "It is difficult for me to take everything in at the moment."

Ramsey added, "I thought I had been progressing well this season so, of course, this is a real setback. I had an operation last weekend and while it will take time for my leg to heal, I am determined and focused on overcoming this injury and hope to be back fitter and stronger than before. I am young and have time on my side."

Ramsey is one of the hottest prospects British football today. Having pulled off a major coup by snapping up the kid from under the noses of Manchester United and Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger sees the youth as the future of the club.

Many feel that he is the obvious heir to Cesc Fabregas, especially as the Spaniard has signalled that he wishes to return to Barcelona some day.

An emotional Ramsey then went on to thank Stoke City's Irish midfielder, Glen Whelan.

Whelan was the first player to react after the horror challenge and comforted the stricken youth as he lay on the ground. Simple gestures from Whelan such as shielding Ramsey from seeing his damaged leg while gently talking to him in an effort to calm him down have not gone unnoticed by the Arsenal player. Whelan also called to other Arsenal players to help their teammate before letting the medical staff takeover.

"Glenn Whelan was especially kind and I really appreciated his immediate assistance on the pitch," said an grateful Ramsey.

He added, "I have also been overwhelmed by the terrific support I've received from so many people, including fans from many different clubs.

"In particular, I would like to thank the medical team here at Arsenal for their efforts as well as the staff at both hospitals, and the medical support from Stoke City.

"I also want to say thanks to Arsenal for helping my family this week.

"Last, but certainly not least, I have been blown away by the fantastic messages of support from the Arsenal fans. I am proud to be an Arsenal player and your support has been incredibly touching.

"I also want to wish my teammates all the best for the remainder of the season. I know we are capable of winning a trophy and I will be backing them all the way."

Arsenal are one of three teams with a real chance of winning the English Premier League this season, and with only nine games to go and a relatively easy run in, they have every chance.

Ramsey had made 18 appearances for the Gunners this season before it was cut so cruelly short. He has received much support in wishing him a speedy recovery.

One of the players who has wished him well is another Irish Stoke midfielder, Rory Delap. Over the past couple of seasons he has become something of a bane for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal as he possesses one of the fastest and longest throws in world football. Aided with such a weapon he has contributed four assists for Stoke against the Gunners alone.

In 2006, Delap suffered the exact same injury as Ramsey but made a full recovery and returned to action almost eight months later, faster and stronger than ever.

Arsenal fans will hope for a speedy recovery.